Okay so have we gone mad here, and finally lost the plot? Using social media - snapchat et al. - to study better?
How can this possibly work?
For this tip, we use social media as a reward for achieving a particular goal.
Bear with us:
- Set your goals for the study session eg: by the end of this assignment I will have completed assignment 'X' and started Chapter 1 of Textbook 'Y'.
- Set yourself a reward having completed the goal. Here we're saying SnapChat; but whatever your favourite social media is. Actually if you're not that into social media, just set a reward that floats ya boat.
- Before beginning, lie down on your bed and take a few deep breaths.
- Say to yourself: I am going to use my willpower to achieve this goal, and then I'm going to really enjoy a good session on SnapChat, or whatever the reward is you've set.
- Visualise yourself carrying out the goal and enjoying the reward.
- Switch off the phone and get busy. Logout of Facebook on the laptop.
- Sometimes you need more time to achieve a goal than you thought. This could be frustrating. Say to yourself: "This goal will take longer to complete. I will extend the timeframe for achieving the goal and enjoy the reward still, as I applied msyelf to the goal."
As you can imagine, there are lots of possible different methods based around this; find a variation that works for you.
We invite you to continue...